Monday, January 25, 2016

Stop renting and buy your modem!!

My latest obsession...reducing my cable bill. 

First on the list is to ditch Time Warner's modem rental.

I've been paying $8 per month modem rental to Time Warner Cable for I don't know how long. That's $96 bucks a year. I can buy a good modem for about that or less.  So after the first year I'm saving about $100 (including taxes and fees) each and every year. There's a list of TWC approved modems and if there's any problems it's on you. I'll take that risk thank you.

Next thing is to cut the cable cord. (That's the term for ditching cable TV.) We can't get rid of it entirely since we need it for broadband and we have it for our phone too. 

Broadband is the high speed internet that is needed to make the streaming video and web usage go at a practical speed for my family of five's needs.

That said, we now need a cheap antenna. Since we're in NYC and very close to the broadcast signals we can get the local channels for under $20. The farther you are from the signal, the more powerful (and expensive) antenna you'll need.

The next step need is to figure out what hardware to get and substitute TV method we'll need or combination thereof. Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Sling are the top contenders for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment