Saturday, March 21, 2015

Clogged Sink No More!!!



After days of a clogged (and leaky) bathroom sink, my husband wanted to run to the store and get some toxic and costly drain opener.  Well, I thought I'd see if I could find a home made remedy on line.  One quick "home made drain opener" search on Google and I found an awesome tip from food.com.

Take 1/4 cup baking soda and pour it down the drain, then pour 1/2 cup vinegar.  It should fizz, then drain.  Viola!!  No more clog.  I decided to chase some boiling water down after it as some of the commenters suggested, but that may have been unnecessary.  

Not only did we not have to run to the store, spend money on toxic checmicals, but for almost nothing and very little effort, I got the job done!!!

Love it!!

Here's the after...(but before cleaning)




Now, I just have to take care of the leak.  One thing at a time.  Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Using baking soda, vinegar, and hot water is perhaps one of the oldest techniques in the book, and actually one of the most effective way to unclog your sink. And it’s so convenient, as you probably have all of these available in your kitchen. Thanks for sharing this with us, I hope you don’t encounter any major clogs on your drains again. All the best!


    Traci Romero @ Harris Plimbing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traci, thanks so much for your comment. I applied one more treatment to the sink and it definitely improved, but it was still clogged. So, I'm sorry to say that I sent my dh to the dollar store to get the poison stuff. It worked well and it only cost me a dollar but I was disappointed that the this technique didn't work all of the way. However, baking soda and vinegar will be my first try if we get another clog.

    ReplyDelete