Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Schmattas

My 7 year old (almost 8 year old) suggested that I post about schmattas.  A schmatta is Yiddish for rag. In our house we don't have paper towels or paper napkins. Instead we use cut up old clothing. This is what we use instead of paper towels 99.99 percent of the time. (One of the few exceptions is that my husband likes to have actual paper towels for draining french fries.) 

When clothing becomes unusable, they go under the sink and at a later date I decide if it's the right material that would be good for being a schmatta. I then cut it up, put it in a pretty bin by the sink, and use it. When soiled, I throw them in the  wash to be reused. I prefer cotton cloth with no logos or printing.  Whatever material is left over, the kids use for crafts, sewing, or I donate to the clothing recycling that accepts non wearable cloth. (I also donate unwearable shoes and belts.)  There are many such places throughout the city including in Union Square Park on Saturdays and Tompkins Square Park on Sundays that accept nonwearable cloth and material.

We also used cloth napkins that were mostly purchased from garage sales, given to me, or I purchased eons ago.  Both the schmattas and cloth napkins usage has greatly reduced our paper product bill. Plus, I think it makes meals a little more special to have cloth napkins.

It's crazy to buy something just to throw it away.  Good for the earth good for my wallet.  Can't beat it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment