Sunday, February 8, 2015

Spongebob Birthday

My son decided that for his eighth birthday he wanted to take a few of his friends to see the new Spongebob movie.   However, he wanted to go the opening weekend to make sure no one had seen it yet.

I searched the internet for a Spongebob cake I can make and gave it a whirl.  Historically, the cake part of my cake never really comes out tasting great. Taking past experience into consideration plus I was short on time, I went with two box mixes (which I always keep a couple on hand for emergencies that I buy on sale).  The buttercream frosting and filling was made from scratch.  The filling was enhanced with vanilla pudding mix and chocolate chips.  All of the three pounds of confectioners sugar were purchased for about two bits each (that's fifty cents) two Black Friday's ago at Acme when they had triple coupon deals. (So sad that Acme location is closing.)

The cake didn't come out too shabby, if I do say so myself.  It was really down to the wire and I couldn't get some of the colors right.  That brown was a killer and never really came out.  I even had brown food gel but it was too light so I mixed in black, red, blue, orange, and some more black and got something closer to dark brown.

Here's my work station.  What a mess I made!!

I think it came out pretty good considering how crappy it started out and the color issues.  :) I bring piping bags with icing and monogram the plates for the kids.

More work station prep goodies.


The aftermath!   I snagged some tables at the movie theater.  The yellow plates were from a birthday party of years past (don't remember whose or what birthday) and the "8" candle was reused from a previous kid.  Lol.  Napkins, white tray, lighter, and plastic forks were extras from my daughter's bat mitzvah. 

Unfortunately the ticket price and cost of movie snacks were full price. Ticket price was even extra because it was 3D. Birthday boy and parents were complementary though.

My son and his guests had a great time and that is the most important thing!!!



We went to the Regal Theatre in Battery Park City.  OMG. You have to go through the gorgeous Conrad Hotel to get to the theater.  One entrance is the amazing lobby, the other entrance passes fancy  shops and restaurants. 

Check out the lobby...


No comments:

Post a Comment