Thursday, January 22, 2015

Homemade Tortillas...Delish!!

Frugal, healthy, and delicious!
Exhibit A - Tortilla dough, freshly rolled out

If you want to save money (and eat healthy) you are almost always better off making it yourself.  Don't feel like its all nothing.  Start small, see what works for you, then go on from there.  It may be worth it to you to make your own ketchup (a project I'd like to start shortly) or for a small sum, just buy the bottle of tomato goodness and call it a day.  Whatever works.  But, I suggest you T-R-Y new projects, you'd be surprised how easy and doable most of them are.  

This leads me to Exhibit A.  I often (but not always) make my own tortillas (which I use for tortillas, tacos, flat bread, pizza dough, and more).  It's very easy to make.  I've tried several recipes, but the one I've been using most recently is from Food.com.  It only has 5 or 6 ingredients and doesn't require a rise.  This last batch I doubled and used only white whole wheat (rather that all purpose and whole wheat) and subbed olive oil for the canola oil.  It came out great.  Rolling them out is the hard part, but it goes fast.  All the extras go in the freezer, as planned.  (I use the wax paper bag from cereal boxes whenever possible.)  It's free, great quality, food safe.  I have so many uses for them.  (More of this in another post coming soon.)



It's pretty easy.  The hard party is having a small block of time to bang it all out.  I doubled the recipe, so it was a little more work.  I could have frozen the dough and finished the job another day, but I just wanted it done.  I bet if you had a tortilla press it would be much faster.  Hmm.  I love me some kitchen gadgets!!


No comments:

Post a Comment