Thursday, January 8, 2015

Winter Foodbox

It's Thursday and the first GrowNYC Winter Foodbox of the year has arrived. It's pretty nice for $10.  This week's batch if produce includes baby leaf lettuce, rainbow Swiss chard, Fuji apples, red cippolini onions, Tokyo baby white turnips, rainbow carrots, and Yukon potatoes.  Plus, I ordered a whopping five pound container of honey for $30 to pick up next week. Sounds like a lot of money but at six bucks per pound for raw honey, that's a good deal.  I've been baking a lot with honey and trying to minimize the intake of processed sugar. 

GrowNYC said that they are now opened to new participants.  I'll post the location and details soon.

I whipped up a dish using the chard, turnips (with the greens), and carrots. It came I out really good, so good that I'll be having it for the next few lunches at work since the kids barely touched it. I pretty much guessed that was going to happen, but it still bums me out.  :(

Anyway, its still a frugal and healthy meal. I even put the scraps in the freezer to make some veggie broth (which I use to make rice and other dishes with).  And, I made a couple of batches of brown Jasmine rice in my handy dandy rice cooker.  I froze the leftover rice to use for fast meals.  This is a great time saver and much cheaper that the boil in bags of rice we used to do before this method.

No comments:

Post a Comment